The Key School Extended Hours Program (KEHP) provides before- and afterschool childcare for Key Elementary School families. KEHP offers a fun and enriching environment supervised by teachers and aides familiar with the children. Both the before and after care programs include support for homework as well as supervised play time. KEHP emphasizes a flexible, low-key atmosphere that allows children to relax and have fun. Games, crafts, toys, and books are available to children. In addition, children play outside every afternoon, weather permitting. All children currently have the opportunity to get the DCPS breakfast at 8:30.
KEHP is committed to ensuring every student feels physically and emotionally safe, supported and engaged in our after-school community. Every KEHP staff member cultivates a welcoming, positive, safe, orderly, and healthy environment that is student-centered, developmentally appropriate, and supports teaching, learning and positive mental health.
The KEHP program is run by the Key School PTO and limited to students enrolled in Key School. Before care takes place from 7:30am to 8:30am, and after care takes place from 3:15pm to 6:00pm.
The aftercare program is full for the 2022-2023 school year. Parents are welcome to sign up on the waitlist (see below). For further information please contact KEHP Director Ann Conway at 202.729.3282 or by email.
For families looking for aftercare support the following local services are available:
- Little Ivies (PreK-4th grade) - https://www.littleiviesdc.com/
- Little Red School House (PreK-1st grade) - http://www.littleredplayschool.com/
- Palisades Recreation Park - DC Department of Parks and Recreation’s (DPR) Enrichment Zone program
- Jelleff Community Center Club – Boys and Girls Club – https://bgcgw.org/clubs/jelleff-club/
Open only to students currently enrolled in Key School.
Parents of participating students must be members of the Key School PTO and have paid their annual dues and bulk supplies fees.
An annual $200/per student payment payable to Key School PTO is due at the time of registration. This covers building use and security costs, as required by DCPS.
Registration for 2023-2024 will begin in April/May and is available through Membership Toolkit.
Fee StructureBelow are the monthly fees for before- and aftercare for the 2022–2023 school year.
BEFORE SCHOOL (offered weekly only): $100 (5 days/week)
AFTER SCHOOL (offered one-to-five days a week):
- An annual $200 payment per child
- 5 days/week: $330, 1st child; $295, discount for additional siblings
- 4 days/week: $285, 1st child; $255, discount for additional siblings
- 3 days/week: $235, 1st child; $210, discount for additional siblings
- 2 days/week: $180, 1st child; $160, discount for additional siblings
- 1 day/week: $120, 1st child; $110, discount for additional siblings
Tuition is due by the 10th of each month, and a $50 late fee will be assessed if payment is not received by this date.
For families that are enrolled in KEHP, please go to the "My Account" menu and select "My Forms/Paperwork" to access the KEHP Monthly Tuition Form.
Students are placed on the KEHP Waitlist in the order they apply. Typically, the before care program does not have a waitlist, while the after care program has an extensive waitlist.
When a KEHP spot becomes available (this may be for one or more days of the week) the KEHP Director offers the available day(s) in the following order:
- First, families with younger siblings of students who are already in after care are offered the same day(s) that the older sibling has;
- Second, current after care families are offered those vacant days to add to their existing after care days; and
- Third, any remaining after care days are offered to the next student on the Waitlist.
- All offers are valid for one week - if no response is received to the offer, the KEHP director will move to the next family on the waitlist.
Please note, registration in before care does not increase your chances of being offered a spot in the after care program. If your child(ren) loses their KEHP spot or their place on the Waitlist (either by disenrolling from Key School, failure to pay tuition, or as a result of disciplinary proceedings) and you wish to reapply, you will need to make a new KEHP application and rejoin the Waitlist.